Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The children are fighting downstairs. I can hear them thudding into the walls. Early this morning I thought that one of the children was upstairs, dropping marbles on the floor above my head, but it was squirrels dropping nuts in the gutter, instead. The children were asleep in their rooms.

Now the children are fighting downstairs. Henry has a friend over and I’m sure this is part of the fight—John would like to be included in the play date—but the boys don’t need something to fight about in order to fight. They have all of childhood and adulthood to fight about. They can fight about the possibilities of outer space and endless time.

Yesterday morning David left for work and the children woke and came into my room. I turned on the bedside lamp and everything was cozy and nice. You’re warm, Henry said, getting under the covers. John sat on the floor reading. Then I went to the bathroom and closed the door and they started hitting each other. On the phone later David and I imagined what happens when I close the door. The children turn to each other. What should we do? one of them asks. I could hit you in the head, says the other. You hit me in the head last time, says the first one. Anything else? Naw, all out. All right, all right, hit me in the head. Then, cooperatively, lovingly, they hit each other and cry.

2 comments:

Poster said...

I love you and your squirrel theory, but what do you think they’re doing dropping acorns in the gutters? Are the gutters conduits to a central squirrel acorn storage facility? Are they look-out posts so the squirrels don't have to wait out in the cold for the White Plains bus? I’ve seen squirrels on the gutters too, and they don’t stay there. They go to our attic where they nest and keep food through the winter. Our neighbor had a nighttime bedroom visitation from these squirrels. You know this.

Carey Lifschultz said...

Darling the squirrels are clumsy, just like you and me, and they drop their acorns by accident. I accept also the theory that they are trying to annoy us. I reject everything you have said.