Wednesday, September 5, 2007

First day of school, darlings. Why wasn’t there more to do? Henry got dressed and I put a snack in his knapsack and that was it. John got in his stroller wearing a headlamp on his head, but for some reason my parents always get the kids headlamps, and Henry wasn’t bothered by this. He's used to headlamps.

I forced my way into the classroom, to see Henry’s cubby, but Henry still managed to run off without giving me a kiss. I understand. Sob. He sat next to his best friend from last year, and John and I retreated to the hall, which was mobbed with parents. I peeked through the classroom window to give Henry a crazy I’m your Mommy! wave and smile, which he graciously ignored, but was basically shouldered aside by one of the dads, who was taking a series of photographs. Now give me studious, more, more, yes, that’s it, all right, now pretend you don’t even notice me, you don’t notice your dad standing by the window taking thirty million pictures of you, perfect! Now hold that for a minute.

I can’t wait to pick him up and ask him questions and get evasive answers about everything. I mean it! I can’t wait.

No comments: