Wednesday, September 26, 2007

We have two chairs which were given to us by, if I remember correctly, the cousin of an aunt. This cousin lived near us when we lived in the city the first time, had just had twins, and wanted to clear out her apartment. She wanted the chairs to stay in the family, and she considered us family, so she gave us the chairs, with the request that we not sell them or put them out for pickup, but keep them in the family and if we needed to, give them back to her one day.

One of the chairs had a broken arm, which we repaired. One is in the dining room. Where is the other one? Somewhere.

One thing that was funny about this woman, whose relation to me is, as I said, attenuated, but enough that I have her chairs, is that she called me by my mother-in-law’s name, and I answered to it. I was walking up Broadway when I heard someone call, Claire! and I turned, because Claire is both close to my name and the name of someone who is important to me. I turned when she called, Claire! and saw her and said, Hi!, and then I found that I couldn’t say, You got my attention by calling me Claire but that’s really not my name. So I have her chairs and I have been very unkind, because I never corrected her.

No comments: